Personal Support Worker-
at Trinity Village in Kitchener
PSW Job Description
Trinity Village Care Centre is home to 150 residents and is seeking a driven individual who is motivated by improving healthcare in the community. Are you ready to make a difference in the world of healthcare with Trinity Village Care Centre?
We offer an exceptional work environment based on utilizing an individual's natural strengths and abilities, while providing excellent opportunities. We are looking for PSWs who are flexible and interested in gaining experience and knowledge in the non-profit, long-term care sector.
Various shifts available with potential for extra hours
You will have opportunity to pick up more shifts .
Work in a collaborative team environment to provide individualized supports to the residents, and use approaches to care in accordance with the resident’s Care Plan. Additionally, use care approaches according to the suggested Behaviour Support Interventions and participate in the tracking of the intervention (during their trial period) for those residents who exhibit responsive behaviours, and are being assessed by the Behaviour Support Team.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates a knowledge and skill working with individuals with various types of dementia, delirium, mental health, addictions, other neurological conditions, and those who experience an acute behavioural change.
- Show enthusiasm, flexibility and ability to cope with change in the work environment and an ability to adapt creatively and productively around resident responsive behaviours.
- Enhanced knowledge of family and caregiver needs in relation to responsive behaviours
- Commitment to the establishment of therapeutic relationships with residents and families.
- Contributes to assessments (e.g. DOS), interventions (BSO trialed interventions) and evaluations (self input and suggestions to BSO Leads) related to a behavioural approach.
- Uses a trouble-shooting and problem-solving approach related to responsive behaviours and individualized resident interventions.
- Works as an effective team member through collaboration, respect and effective communication skills while interacting with clients, family members and other members of interpersonal care team.
- Participates in resident Care Conferences, Behaviour Support Team Huddles and brainstorming sessions alongside the BSO Team and Psycho geriatric Resource Consultant, as required.
- Adheres to established department policies and procedures regarding quality assurance, safety, environment and infection control.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience Required:
- Completion of an accredited Personal Support Worker certificate course.
- Behavioural Management Courses, dealing with dementia
- Multi-disciplinary Working with the Aged Program, Program Planning or other related education.
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Some knowledge of techniques used in caring for the elderly with special needs.
- Requires a commitment to ongoing education and staff development.
Additional Education/Certificates Preferred:
- Training in Gentle Persuasive Approach
- Certificate in Dementia Care, UFirst (P.I.E.C.E.S. for PSW’s), Montessori and asset
- Certified as a Personal Support Worker (PSW) as per the requirements of the Long-Term Care Act
- Prior experience working with clients with dementia and related responsive behaviours either in long-term care and/or the community.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of Responsive Behaviours.
Trinity Village Care Centre requires all new hires to submit a valid TB test, mandatory proof of flu shot, and Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record Check prior to start date. Trinity Village Care Centre offers competitive compensation including benefits.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
Applicants are required to provide their accommodation needs in advance and submit adequate documentation to support their request for accommodation in the assessment process and/or to perform the essential duties of the posted position. For disability-related accommodation, documentation must be from the applicants' treating physician outlining their functional limitations
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be aware that we currently have Covid-19 present in our home. Employees are provided with appropriate Personal Protective Equipment and trained to use it.
Please add PSW to your subject line
To Apply: submit your resume to the Region of Waterloo Employment Ontario Program and a Job Developer will screen and forward your resume if applicable:
Job Developer: Patb