Toolmaker- Machine Tool Builder and Integrator
at ATS Automation in Waterloo
Job Title: Toolmaker - Machine Tool Builder and Integrator
Join our globally growing team at ATS Industrial Automation where we create complex automation solutions at the highest level that sustainably impact lives around the world.
At ATS, a publicly traded global company with a proud 40-year history, we help drive the future with our factory-wide automation solutions. At ATS Industrial Automation, what we do matters - both to our customers and to their customers. With 1000 skilled employees around the world, we design, build and service mission-critical automated assembly and test solutions for mobility, nuclear and specialty automation. Our customers are leaders in their industries and rely on us to deliver what we promise - on time and on budget. Combined with our broad product portfolio, financial strength and global presence, we provide our customers with the best automation solutions wherever and whenever they need them.
- Under general direction, machine, fit and assemble component parts and precision tooling with a quality and timely focus in order to build special-purpose machinery, robotic work cells and factory automation projects.
- When required, may coordinate a portion of the activities, specified and approved by the manager, of a team of Toolmakers and apprentices involved in the mechanical build, coordination, bench assembly, floor assembly and integration of robotic work cells, mechanical assemblies and factory automation products in order to ensure that a quality product is built on time, safely and to budget.
- Set up and operate various machine tools, such as manual lathes and small mills, and apply knowledge of mechanisms, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures to support the assembly team with new work or rework.
- Must be able to run small to medium projects.
- Must be able to support Intermediate Toolmakers as a right hand and be able to fill in temporarily in Intermediate Toolmakers absence.
- May be asked to lead a team and push small to medium projects, or program cell/station with low to medium complexity successfully to completion.
- May be asked to engage with engineering team in concept development of small to medium projects with low to medium complexity and provide labour estimates for group leader/manager review.
- Work in a team environment with other mechanical assembly personnel as well as electricians, programmers and any other people or department required to complete the project to meet the customer’s requirements.
- Requires a practical working knowledge of the operation of all toolroom equipment.
- Machine details, applying tolerances on prints, understand GD & T and where to apply.
- Must be able to recognize function and relationship of all details with in assemblies.
- Take direction from Manager and the appointed Lead Toolmaker.
- Proficient understanding of the tracking system.
- Provide project status for weekly team meetings.
- Support the needs of the manufacturing department when questions arise.
- Ensure that all print updates are being completed.
- Proceed with floor assembly according to floor plan layout, assembling the job in a safe and proper order according to procedures, providing the other departments with the tooling needed to accomplish their tasks according to the schedule.
- Participate in the debug/integration of the line. Check preliminary station set up before programmers are scheduled to begin. Check to see if cycle times are achievable and advise Lead Toolmaker of potential problems. Run the entire line with team and others to check functionality of operator stations, operator interface, loading and unloading areas and guarding for ease of maintenance.
- Perform rework efficiently to ensure minimal impact to budget and schedule.
- Ensure that all rework is properly recorded.
- Assemble and assist in testing activities related to construction of CSA B51 and CSA N285.0 pressure boundary components within the ATS Certificate of Authorization if applicable. Strictly follow CSA N285/NQA Quality requirements as defined within the manual and procedures
- Provide mechanical support during the duration of debug/integration and acceptance.
- Participate in tear down and shipping of the equipment, dismantling in an orderly fashion to minimize the installation time at customer’s site.
- Be able and willing to travel as required to the customer job site.
- Be an ambassador for ATS at the customer’s site, providing quick and efficient installation of the equipment. Follow all safety procedures according to the ATS Health and Safety Manual in addition to following any onsite customer health and safety procedures.
- Reassemble equipment to the point of buy-off at customer’s site. Provide customer training as required.
- Fill out daily site reports.
- Work with the Manager to be a positive, motivating force within the team. Train apprentices according to the ATS manufacturing standards and the Machine Tool Builder and Integrator apprenticeship training standards.
- Communicate and be a channel of any constructive or objective ideas that arise, helping to keep the manufacturing standards up-to-date and at the highest level. Use the team as a pool of technical knowledge, solving problems together efficiently.
Education: A Certificate of Qualification as a Machine Tool Builder and Integrator or Tool and Die Maker (430A) or equivalent.
- Completion of a Certificate of Apprenticeship and Certification of Qualification in the above mentioned trades.
- Experience in integrating and assembly of custom factory automation or equivalent experience in a manufacturing environment.
Why should you join ATS Industrial Automation?
- Be a part of an engaged, empowered and innovative global workforce
- We offer a robust total rewards package- Competitive starting salaries, comprehensive health and dental benefits, overtime pay, employee bonus, RSP matching, Employee Share Purchase Program
- We provide awesome work perks such as treat days, gourmet coffee and beverages, subsidized breakfast and lunches in our cafeteria, employee referral bonuses and lots more.
- We are intentional about your professional growth and development through internal career opportunities and our educational reimbursement program.
ATS is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA), 2005 and will, upon request, assist those who may require specific accommodations due to a personal disability. We would ask that those who require assistance to notify our offices as soon as possible if accommodation is necessary
If you're excited about this role, but do not meet all the qualifications listed above, you are still encouraged to apply
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
List “Toolmaker - MBTI as seen on Region of Waterloo Employment Services Job Board” in the subject line of your email.
If You Require Assistance in Applying:
Submit your resume by email to EmploymentOntario@regionofwaterloo.ca
Please add “ATS Automation – Attention: JD Christina” to the subject line as we have multiple employers and job postings.
Recent jobs at ATS Automation