EMERGENCY SHELTER WORKER II
at YW Kitchener- Waterloo in Kitchener
Who We Are
YW Kitchener-Waterloo is part of a global movement connecting over 25 million women in 125 countries.
With over a century of dedication to women and their families, the YW Kitchener-Waterloo serves the community as one of our region’s largest non-profit organizations. We envision an equitable world where women, gender diverse people, families, youth, and children thrive in inclusive communities.
YW team members work in a stimulating and rewarding environment that values diversity of individuals and ideas. If you have a desire to enrich your life and find purpose in the work you do every day, we encourage you to apply.
EXTERNAL JOB OPPORTUNITY
EMERGENCY SHELTER WORKER II
84 FREDERICK STREET LOCATION
(temporary casual, unionized position)
Hours & Compensation:
Hours: Shifts will be scheduled Days, Nights, and/or Overnights as required. Staff will be deployed to our
Main Shelter Building or our Temporary Men’s Shelter based on program needs.
Pay Rate: $22.508 per hour, with an additional 2% in lieu of benefits
Start Date of: ASAP
End Date: April 30, 2022 - exact date to be determined based on program needs
You will offer ongoing support to meet the housing, financial, and life support needs of our clients both in the
Main Shelter Building and in our Temporary Men’s Shelter space, by:
- providing support to those who are facing challenges including poverty, mental health, addictions,
abuse, and social isolation;
- monitoring the environment and alerting emergency services as needed in times of crisis and completing appropriate follow up and documentation;
- responding to night-time emergencies, informing supervisor/on-call staff and any other services as necessary;
- overseeing behaviour on the property ensuring that all clients are observing the rules of the shelter space;
- processing documentation and completing other related tasks to facilitate the intake and discharge process;
- assisting housekeeping with preparation of rooms/beds and cleaning of general areas and biohazardous materials as required.
Skills, Qualifications, & Requirements:
- Knowledge of: effects of homelessness on individuals and families, harm reduction, and suicide intervention. Understanding of mental health and addiction issues, anti-oppression / anti-racism,
and marginalized communities.
- No requirement for a social work degree or diploma; however, preference will be given to those who have relevant education and experience in a shelter or similar setting.
- You may have experience of the following: Support Worker, Housing, Vulnerable People, Social Worker, Community Development, Volunteer, Housing Support Worker, Challenging Behaviour, Residential Care Worker, Night shelter, Security Guard etc.
-Excellent opportunity for graduates, volunteers and those who want to build their career in the field of social work/services.
-Up-to-date Vulnerable Sector Check and Standard First Aid and CPR Level C documentation (required)
-Harm Reduction, Overdose Prevention and De-escalation training (asset)
-The ability to remain calm under pressure.
-Working knowledge of computer software programs and data entry such as Word and Excel.
How to Apply:
Online through Indeed
HomelessnessHousing@ywkw.ca ~ YW Emergency Shelter, 84 Frederick Street Kitchener, ON N2H 2L7
No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Vaccine Verification - As a condition of employment you are required to provide confirmation that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or commitment to obtain (within 30 days of hiring) full vaccination or proof of valid exemption satisfactory to the employer. You must acknowledge and agree to comply with any future vaccine policy requirements as an ongoing condition of employment at the YW Kitchener-Waterloo.
The YW is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from individuals of all races, colour, ethnic origin, religions, abilities, gender identity, and sexual orientations. If you require accommodation throughout the hiring process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Recent jobs at YW Kitchener- Waterloo