at University of Waterloo in Waterloo
The Residence Attendant is accountable to one of the following: Supervisor, Cleaning Services; Assistant Manager, Cleaning Services; Manager, After-Hours to provide and maintain a high standard of cleanliness and service as required in a student residential environment. The incumbent is a member of the Residence Facilities team, who work closely together to ensure that the student experience includes a safe, accessible, well maintained, and supportive home where all students succeed personally and academically. The incumbent will be required to participate in activities that align with Residence Facilities organizational goals and objectives, and the department’s mission statement.
Employment Type: Temporary
Time Type: Full-Time
Hiring Range: $36,219 - $45,273
Term: 2 years
There are multiple positions available during night, day and weekend shifts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for providing and maintaining a high standard of cleanliness in accordance with the departments standards and service levels
- Responsible for reporting all deficiencies, which is crucial to ensure the optimum delivery of maintenance services
- Assist in inventory control within the assigned working area
- Assist with procedures critical for the safety and security of our residence buildings including but not limited to end of term lockdown
- Make recommendations that contribute to the success of our student residences through continuous improvement
- Responsible for maintaining cleaning equipment in a condition of good repair and reporting all required repairs to the incumbent’s Supervisor
- Qualify and address general building maintenance issues relevant to predetermined responsibilities
- Project work and special requests as required
- Assist external service providers
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Foster and maintain a healthy work environment that adheres to the University of Waterloo health and safety practices as well as the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Identify and support safety efforts with the Supervisor in the incumbent’s area
- Complete all health and safety training as directed by the incumbent’s Supervisor
- Interact with and engage students on a daily basis to support student needs
- Act as a resource for students and residence dons
Support and Collaboration
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining effective communication and working relationships with the Residence Facilities team, University personnel, management, vendors, and service providers
- The incumbent should be knowledgeable of the needs of incoming students and be willing to work with housing and campus partners who are responsible for supporting students in these programs
- Participates in and contributes to regular team and department wide meetings as appropriate
- At the discretion of the Supervisor act as a support for residence facilities coordinators by providing willing assistance with aspects of varying requirements
- Post-secondary education or equivalent experience is preferred
- Valid G License and a clean driver’s abstract
- First Aid certification
- This position requires a high degree of organizational skill, interpersonal skills and problem solving ability to balance multiple priorities and deadlines
- Must be a strong communicator (oral and written) with the ability to build strong relationships
- The incumbent must be capable of performing physically demanding duties and have institutional experience with cleaning methods and working with cleaning products
- A working knowledge of computing skills and awareness of web related and mobile communication tools is required, including basic knowledge of MS Word and Excel
- Exceptional attention to detail as well as having a friendly, professional, customer service oriented personality is required
- This position requires the demonstrated ability to interact collaboratively with a wide variety of people in many different contexts as well as work independently
- Proven ability to take initiative and be both creative and flexible
- The incumbent must possess the ability to adhere to privacy guidelines
- Experience working in a student environment and making evidence based decisions is considered an asset
- The incumbent may be required to work occasional overtime shifts
- Role requires a Police Vulnerable Sector Check
The University of Waterloo is committed to implementing the Calls to Action framed by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. We acknowledge that we live and work on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishinaabeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. The University of Waterloo is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land granted to the Six Nations that includes six miles on each side of the Grand River.
The University values the diverse and intersectional identities of its students, faculty, and staff. The University regards equity and diversity as an integral part of academic excellence and is committed to accessibility for all employees. The University of Waterloo seeks applicants who embrace our values of equity, anti-racism and inclusion. As such, we encourage applications from candidates who have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including applicants who identify as First Nations, Métis and/or Inuit/Inuk, Black, racialized, a person with a disability, women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Waterloo is committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. If you have any application, interview, or workplace accommodation requests, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-888-4567, ext. 45935.
How to Apply
Please click link below
Recent jobs at University of Waterloo